* You can do a Bronze DofE programme once you’re 14 (or nearly 14, which sometimes happens when you and your friends decide to start your adventure together). However, your Leader must get permission from their Licensed Organisation first.
* A Bronze DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You must do a minimum of 3 months’ activity for each of the Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections, and plan, train for and do a 2 day (1 night) Expedition.
* You also have to spend an extra three months on one of the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections. It’s your choice which one and, though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section.
Plan, train for and undertake a 2 day, 1 night expedition.
All participants must undertake a further 3 months in the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections.
* It will usually take you at least 6 months to complete your Bronze programme.
Silver (15+ years old)
* The next step up from Bronze... you need to be at least 15 to start your Silver DofE programme. If you've achieved your Bronze Award, your Licensed Organisation may allow you to start your Silver a month or two before your 15th birthday.
* A Silver DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You need to do at least 6 months’ Volunteering and a minimum of 6 months on either Physical or Skills and 3 months on the other. It’s up to you which one you do for longer.
* If you have done Bronze, you can choose the same activity for Silver, but you need to show development in it. It's best to try something new!
* The Expedition section involves planning, training for and doing a 3 day (2 night) expedition.
* If you start your Silver without doing Bronze first, you’ll have to do an extra 6 months’ volunteering or doing whichever of the Physical or Skills sections you have spent more time on. Though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section.
* It will take you at least 6 months for Silver if you've already achieved your Bronze, or 12 months if you've jumped straight into Silver.
One section for 6 months and the other section for 3 months
Plan, train for and undertake a 3 day, 2 night expedition.
Direct entrants must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.